Obedience - Personal Reflection
I believe it is important to live an obedient life. Here is one reason, “All prophets, ancient and modern, have known that obedience is essential to our salvation.”1 I choose to believe the prophets, I also believe that there is a living God that cares about what I do and me personally. I believe that there is a reason for me being on this earth, I just need to find it. At the very least grow and prepare for what ever comes my way.
I like the words of Elder Ballard, “Mortality, then, is the time to test our ability to understand our Heavenly Father’s plan and, of course, our willingness to be obedient.”2 That answers the purpose, a time of testing to see what we will choose and use our agency to do. There is a God and a purpose so there a goal. I believe that living with Heavenly Father after this life is the goal. Then obedience to His laws is essential to reaching that goal.
We have help and guidance available to us. Elder Bednar says, “The Spirit of the Lord can be our guide and will bless us with direction, instruction, and spiritual protection during our mortal journey.”3 We are on a journey, a journey of life, learning, experiencing and achieving different heights and abilities. Learning to control our earthly bodies, and carnal desires.
Some say that obedience is too restrictive and blinds us to experiencing all that life has to offer. I say it actually frees us to experience all that is important in this life. As an example smoking is an experience that will quickly limit our future ability to experience health. I see the choices that others try to push on me are debilitating instead of exhilarating. I can live happily without those things.
I have a brother that likes beer and other things so much that God does not exist. It makes his choices seem more acceptable, when he believes this. I say that I am not giving up anything that I would want to have and if I am wrong I will still be happy. If he is wrong he will have much to repent of hereafter. He has his agency and I don’t mean to sound judgmental, I am trying to say that I see it differently. I am happy with my choices just as he is with his.
Character is made up of our choices. I found Elder Scott’s statement interesting in regards to character, “Faith and character are intimately related. Faith in the power of obedience to the commandments of God will forge strength of character available to you in times of urgent need.”4
It requires consistent work and steady progress to truly be obedient. Elder Oaks says, “What we need is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime”5 Life is worth living and living well with a goal in mind. Obedience helps make life smooth and steady, creating character. Character being a person of worth.
1-Thomas S Monson "Obedience Brings Blessings," April 2013
2- M. Russell Ballard “Answers to Life’s Questions” April 1995
3- David A Bednar “That we May Always Have His Spirit to Be With Us” April 2006
4- Richard G. Scott, “The Transforming Power of Faith and Character” October 2010
5- Dallin H Oaks “Dedication of a Lifetime” April 2013
Comments